Friday 9 January 2009

A RULE AGAINST MURDER - IndieNext pick!

lights snow, cold, temps minus 15

Atmospheric day...lovely with all the snow. But very cold, and windy, which of course just tears at the skin.

Great news today - A RULE AGAINST MURDER has been chosen as a BookSense Pick (Now known as the IndieNext picks). This is for Independent Bookstores across the United States, and they only choose 20 books per month - Fiction and Non-fiction, for the entire country. And they chose A RULE AGAINST MURDER.

As well, the Charlotte Observer gave it a fantastic review, and The Mystery Reader gave it 5 out of 5 stars.

So far, so good.

Lise came by today at 9:30 and we did some work. In fact, she's designed some lovely, simple, classic bookmarks - with three pines on them. Promoting the series. Isn't she amazing?

Then we showed her Michael's study/bomb site. Her job, while we're in Quebec City for a month, is to organize him. We believe this is the last we'll ever see of Lise. Perhaps the last anyone will see of her.

Honestly, how did we get so fortunate as to be working with Lise???

Then Michael and I hopped off to the hospital in Cowansville for my mammogram, which didn't worry me. Frankly I gave it almost no thought - except that odd combination of annoyance and gratitude. I really do get very moved when I realize I live in a society where they write to invite me to have a mammogram, and will write every two years to remind me. Saying it's "free" really is a misnomer since we pay for all of this with quite high taxes. But to be able to waltz into the hospital and waltz out 20 minutes later having had it all done is fantastic. And comforting.

Except it was so cold, it meant I had to get out of my sweats (Lise always sees us either in sweats or flannels - she wouldn't recognize us otherwise) and get to Cowansville. Happily Michael drove, dropped me off and went off to Loblaws for some groceries. Clay-pot chicken for tonight. I can smell it roasting. Yum.

Long bubble bath upon returning home (after putting the clay-pot in the oven). Watched a BBC programme called Escape to the Country while the scent of the dinner wafted up. So relaxing.

Will blog tomorrow...hope you're well.

10 comments:

frouch said...

WOW! I am so excited for you! Excited, but not surprise at all.
Congratulations!
If Lise ever feel completely devastated by the work she needs to do in Michael's bomb-office, tell her that I can send her pictures of MY office, which will make her cry in gratitude to only have to deal with Michael's one...

Hilary MacLeod said...

How many ways are there to say congratulations? Your supporters must be running out.

As for Michael's office, he may not walk off with any awards there -- could be some serious competition. Apparently, in this case, not from you!


H.

Leinda said...

Congrats on the Indie Pick! I'm waiting now for my copy from Amazon - I wish it would hurry. Not that I'm out of books piled high on my nightstand, but none compare with the idea of another Louise Penny book.

G.M. Malliet said...

Louise - I saw this news yesterday and meant to write you then. Congratulations!! I love 3 Pines and look forward to reading this one.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Louise! Well deserved. See you soon!

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Frouch,

I'll alert Lise, though she might not quite believe anything could be worse than Michael. I'm sure Michael, though, will be relieved!

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Hilary,

Now, does this mean you also create 'among the ruins'? According to Michael, the very best people do (he makes an exception in my case - very tolerant). Though, when I'm writing by the fire I sometimes pause and notice the stacks of reference books, poetry books, cook books, notebooks all around. My form of a nest, I guess.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Leinda,

It should be arriving any day now - let me know what you think. And I'm glad Armand et al jump the cue.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear GM,

How wonderful to hear from one of my personal favorite writers...your DEath of a Cozy Writer was and is brilliant!

Thank you for being so supportive and generous! And can hardly wait to read your next.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Kay,

I'm counting the days until our dinner together with Lesa and Patti in Phoenix. Just over a week away. So looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for writing.