Saturday 22 March 2008

The Swift Uplifting Rush

Sunny, cold, highs minus 6

I give you this
One thought to keep
I am with you still
I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken
In the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars
That shine at night

Do not think of me as gone
I am with you still
In each new dawn
Native American prayer

Michael and I had lunch yesterday with our very good friends and neighbours Guy and Nicole. One week ago they lost their only child, Martin.

Guy, and therefore Martin, has Abenaki blood in him. We gave them this prayer, framed. Nicole says she walks, morning, noon and night. And sometimes, deep in the woods, she screams.

Guy just cries.

I am the swift, uplifting rush

I wish we could be that for them. But all we can do is sit with them and trust that one day the howl will die down to a moan in the marrow.

Be well. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Louise: I just finished The Cruelest Month - loved it - it is your best yet. I hope it wins the Agatha award. I was eagerly reading to find out the conclusion but at the same time sad that it would soon be over - just in time for Easter. I don't want to give anything away but was fascinated by the way that you had three things going on which were all caused by the same faulty emotion. Great! I have one question - what is a "licorice pipe"? Gamache had them twice and I don't know what that is. Is it just a straight, twisted piece of licorice candy? All the best to you for a lovely Easter,
Donna

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Donna,

Great to hear from you - and now I have an image of your lovely face too, having met you.

and very glad you enjoyed The Cruelest Month!

Oh, what a sheltered upbringing you must have had, little one. A licorice pipe is a legnth of black licorice molded to look like a pipe, with a dab of red candy at the end to look as though it was lit.

Very yummy.

Happy Easter -

Louise

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation. I love licorice but I really don't think we ever had them in the U.S. In fact, my husband buys me Good & Plenty all the time for a treat! It is great that in fiction you can have the characters eat all these yummy things that in real life if we ate we'd end up like blimps! Love reading about the baguettes, cheese, etc. Am a little confused - is the book you are working on now #4 or is #4 done and you are working on #5? When will #4 be released?
Regards,
Donna

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Donna,

I'm working on number 5. I'm just a murdering fool.

Louise