Monday 28 September 2009

Stefanie Pintoff

steady rain, foggy, cool, temps 12

We need the rain, so while it's sort of dreary this is actually very good. This is the cod liver oil of weather.

Sat in front of the fire place, editing...very relaxing. This part of the process is. I think it must be like getting into shape. At first it's horrible and frightening and discouraging...and tempting to quit. That's what a first draft feels like. Also, that it will never, ever lead to anything worthwhile. Folly.

But after a long while it gets earlier...and easier. And now the book is in shape (i however have basically sat on a sofa for five years, so I am also in shape, but it looks like a pear) - and it's just fine tuning now. A buff book.

As you might know, I was supposed to go to Connecticut for a couple of events this Friday but cancelled because Michael's having eye surgery. Could not possibly pass up a chance to boss him around. But this meant cancelling a couple of very important events - and I feel terrible about it.

But the wonderful Stefanie Pintoff, another Minotaur author, has agreed to step in for me. She won the 2008 St Martin's Minotaur/Mystery Writers of America Best First Novel Award for her stunning debut IN THE SHADOW OF GOTHAM.

So if you are anywhere near the New Canaan Library in Connecticut this Friday at noon you must see her speak. She's terrific. She's also drop dead gorgeous.

Had fabulous news...People Magazine is planning to run the review in the issue that goes on sale Thursday!! And - even more exciting - they say it is the lead review. Now, clearly, anything can happen and they change their minds...but so far the news is beyond fantastic!!!

A great way to start the week.

Also want to remind those of you in the area...the official Canadian launch for THE BRUTAL TELLING is this coming Sunday, here in the Townships. Danny and Lucy, of Brome Lake Books, are organizing a special brunch - that is also a fundraiser for the local Yamaska Literacy Council. I'll be giving a talk, taking questions, doing a brief reading from THE BRUTAL TELLING and of course, signing books. Great way to pick up early Christmas gifts!

Now, to be honest, I don't know if Danny and Lucy have any tickets left. The event will be held at the local Lakeview Hotel...but you can call them. Their number is: 450-242-2242.

Am off to Knowlton, actually for a breakfast meeting with Danny and one of the organizors of the very young local literary ferstival. After that I have a 1 hour taping with the local radio station, and Kate Wisdom - who is brilliant. Then home to write the October newsletter.

I find if I don't keep on top of things, it all comes crashing down...Some people are amazed when I respond immediately to emails, but I find if I don't, then suddenly I have 100, and am overwhelmed...or things get forgotten.

It's a great life...and long as you keep moving...

9 comments:

Jeanine said...

Hi Louise,

I will be at the store waiting for them to put the People magazines on the stand!

I went to the library Sunday to look at their copy of The New York Times so I could see the ad. They keep the Sunday issue behind the Reference desk so people won't steal it. I asked to see it and she said, "Well, somebody managed to steal part of it. Only the first page, though." I had to laugh as I immediately suspected WHY it was only the first page that was taken. Your ad was on page two! So you most likely have a VERY dedicated fan!

I am savoring every word of The Brutal Telling. Ruth has always been my favorite character. (Don't know what this says about me psychologically. LOL) However, today I fell in love with Dominique.

Am heading off to bed now to read some more.

Elaine said...

To add to the last sentence of your entry today:

...And there is no finish line.

Elaine

Stefanie Pintoff said...

Louise,

You are far too kind and generous in your mention of me - especially with so much going on in your life, both personally and professionally! Many congratulations on the People review and, again, my very best wishes for Michael's surgery and rapid recovery.

Stefanie

lil Gluckstern said...

Just put in an order for Pintoff's book, but I don't think Louise can be matched. Here I am deeply engrossed, and terribly worried about Olivier, and there is a combination for gummi bears and bacon?!? I don't want to be a spoiler so I won't go on. Louise, you are a treasure, and i do read a lot, but only a few authors make me laugh out loud. Usually those are writing funny books.This book feels darker than your others, and I like the moments of humor very much. You have really caught the multiple sides of human being so well. The fireplace is indeed a good metaphor for your creation. good luck with all your launches, and of course, i am keeping fingers crossed for Michael.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Jeanine,

Curses - foiled again - just when you were planning to steal it. I hope! Especially if you are channeling Ruth.

So glad you're enjoying the book. Thank you so much for telling me!!

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Elaine,

Quite right. I plan to keep running right into the next life. See you there, if not before.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dearest Stefanie,

Now, I hope LOADS of people are reading these comments - to see what a very gracious person you are. Not only have you stepped in to the New Canaan event, and relieved my mind - but you think to wish us well AND you didn't correct my very foolish typo of your name in the headline!!! I know it is STEFANIE - and even managed to get it right everywhere else - except in the big fat headline. And you did not chastize. How kind you are. It is corrected now, though.

Have fun Friday. Everyone lucky enough to see you is in for a real treat!!

Bless you, Stefanie.

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Lil,

Oh, yes. Gummi bears go with anything. You can even use them to mend a blown out tire.

And you are terrific to order Stefanie's book!!! I can guarantee you you will love it. She's a gifted writer.

Thank you, Lil, for your huge heart and spirit.

Louise Penny Author said...

Oh, another quick note to Jeanine...

I also love Dominique. A woman of wise choices in mid-life. But...