Friday 5 June 2009

Linwood wins!

beautiful, sunny day, temps 20

Gorgeous day, and fun evening. As perhaps you've gathered, I didn't win the ellis award, but a fine writer did! Linwood Barclay. Indeed, the field was so strong I felt relaxed knowing whoever won would deserve it.

There's no doubt I would always prefer to hear my name, who wouldn't. But I also know I've had way more than my share of good fortune. The sun shines on Linwood today, and someone else tomorrow and maybe me another day...and all I can do is keep walking outside and doing my best. and knowing even rainy days are blessings.

Our friend Flora joined us at our table for the dinner. a lovely, supportive, woman.

Had huge fun yesterday - lunch on the Rideau Canal, at the National Arts Centre with our friends Vicky and Howard. Listening to funny stories, getting caught up. then Michael and I took the boat cruise along the canal. Beautiful day for it!

it was a bit crowded with kids...the boat before and after were near empty, but ours was full. Not exactly tranquil, but it could have been worse. No loss of life, or temper. Again - things beyond our control. No use stewing, though I try...for a while. But it's not that much fun, so soon give it up in favour of having a good time. Often the scream in my head is way worse than anything happening externally. the good news is, I can turn that off.

Today is splendid - working on my speech for tomorrow night and having lunch with friends...then either off to the war museum or a nap. Am quite tired. And since I'm one of the guests of honour at Bloody Words (the Canadian Crime Writers conference)I have a feature interview tonight, from 7:30 to 8:30 I suspect it will be me, Michael and the interviewer. If I wasn't the interviewee, I wouldn't be there! Oh well. More things I can't control. Actually makes life quite relaxing.

Take care and thank you for all your good wishes regarding the Arthur Ellis. I'm so proud to be a Canadian Crime writer, and the award would have been a treasure, but perhaps another year.

4 comments:

lil Gluckstern said...

Hi Louise,

Sorry about the bump in your road, but enjoy what you have achieved. None of it changes your gracious, nice self. Hope you get your rest, and look forward to the next round of kudos.

Lil

Jeanine said...

Just know that we were all pulling for you and feel the disappointment deeply ... and are not nearly as gracious about it as you are!However, as Scarlett O'Hara would say, "tomorrow is another day".Upward and onward!

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Lil,

Thank you!

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Jeanine,

I will count on you to be my stunt double - reacting violently to the difficult events...while I appear saintly.

thank you for your very supportive message!