Sunday 3 May 2009

YAY!!!

rainy, misty

We won!!!! The Agatha for best novel!!! I was absolutely floored and still am. Stunned and staggered. And thrilled. It was such a strong field. Not certain what I said in my speech except, somehow, I remember saying something about Anne perry's facial hair. Dear Lord. Well, not her actual hair, but they put a photo of her up on a screen and the screen had a semi-circular smudge, right at her upper lip. Looked exactly like a moustache.

Wish i hadn't said that. Just spoke to her now and made certain she knew it wasn't meant as an insult. She really is lovely.

Other winners of Agatha's were:

GM Maillet, Best First Novel, for Death of a Cozy Writer
Kathy Lynn Emerson, Best Non-Fiction, How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries
Dana Cameron, Best Short Story, The Night things changed
Chris Grabenstein, Best Young Adult, The Crossroads

Congratulations to everyone.

I'm still trembling. I was no expecting it, which helped. meant I was totally relaxed. Michael and I were hosting a table. We'd taken hardcover copies of The Crulest Month and handmade chocolates from the chocolate place in Sutton. And were just having a fun time. Unlike me, really, not to be nervous. But when The Cruelest Month was read out I brought my hands to my face and paused there a monent. Then kissed (almost up on assualt charges) everyone in my path - whether they wanted it or not. Poor Michael I almost pawed.

The publisher, Andy martin, sprang from his chair, ran across the room, hugged me and whispered. "I can't believe it!'

Actually, I know what he meant. I can't either.

Michael's on his way home...but just emailed from the airport to say the plane has been delayed almost 2 hours! Yech. I go home Tuesday, but at the rate he's going I might get there first. I'll be happy when he phones and emails to say the plane has landed...always feels better.

Off to do a few more things then check out of the hotel.

But, one more things to do...

YIPPPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!

21 comments:

Jo B. said...

Fantastic!!!! Good win for you and your book!! I know you must be on cloud nine right about now! Enjoy your win!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is fantastic. Can you sleep at all? My heart is beating fast for you. And now I can tell "I knew her when" Need to tell my friends. This is the first of many, right?!!!!

Hugs

Anny

Anonymous said...

I apologize. This is your second award. But the joy is still great, if not greater. Wich means that you are a writer of substance.

I am not as up to date as I should be. I am just so elated.

Anny

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I'm not surprised. You are my very favorite!!! Keep'em coming! Martha, the Sothern girl.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Amazing. Congrats, you truly deserve it.

lil Gluckstern said...

Yay! is right. So happy for you, and I predict there will be more! And, oh yes, we can say that the others are in good company. I have read "Death of a Cozy Writer," and found it great fun, and a very different feel from your books. Once again, your wonderful spirit is a pleasure, enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That is terrific news!

Karen

Beth said...

Oh, hooray for you! I'm so happy for you, and feel incredibly proud--of you and of the beautiful book. I'm looking forward to October.

Liz said...

Congratulations once again Louise!!! Well deserved - I'm so thrilled for your continued success, and hope to see you at Bloody Words next month!

Liz
aka Jamie Tremain

donna said...

Wonderful! So glad that all of your hard work is paying off. You deserve it!
All the best,
Donna

Susan D said...

Oh, HUGE congratulations. So happy for you.

Like Liz, I'm Looking forward to seeing you at Bloody Words.

Cece said...

I knew I had good taste in authors!

In all seriousness, a well-deserved award. Enjoy the glow!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Enjoy because you really deserve it. Phyllis

Rebecca Rose said...

Congratulations, Louise. Your books are the greatest and you are so gracious about the win. Beautiful.

Pierre said...

Great! This is a well deserved award. I have the feeling that more good news are coming...
Bravo !

Anonymous said...

Just saw this--CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Wheeeee!! This is so WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

Caroline said...

Love that you've received this award - and that you're having the chance to revel in it and celebrate!!!! That we all love to read your amazing books is one thing, but to have this extra recognition that you have a special gift must be pretty amazing. Warmest congratulations.

KarenB said...

Congratulations! What an achievement - and particularly up against such good company. It is a wonderful book and you deserve it. Time to go home and bask in the glow for a while!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Melody said...

Congratulations! I just love your books.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dearest ones,

Thank you! How lucky am I to have you in my life. How hollow would all of this feel without having people to share it with...

Thank you for celebrating, for feeling good for me, and making me feel even better. I feel so wonderful about the win, but even better that you're there and you care.

Thank you!!!