Thursday 14 June 2012

Still Life - the movie!

Sunny, mild, temps 26

Great news! The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has 'greenlit' the film of STILL LIFE!

As some of you know, the film was optioned a year or so ago....but that's far from a guarantee it will be made....but thanks to a great production company, and script, the CBC has made it one of only three films they're producing this year. The news was announced yesterday at the Banff International TV conference.

Here's the release:

STILL LIFE (Three Pines Productions): Based on the award-winning novels by international best-selling author Louise Penny, comes an event TV movie about murder in a small town. The village of Three Pines, Quebec may seem tranquil, but all is not as it appears. In this psychological thriller that combines Hitchcock with Christie, death comes to this peaceful Eden, and brings with it Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, the head of Homicide for the Surete du Quebec. Here he discovers that nature, both human and otherwise, is capable of great beauty, and great cruelty. Beneath the exterior of the pretty little village, dark secrets lie hidden. Behind cheerful smiles, hurtful thoughts swirl. As he digs deeper, Chief Inspector Gamache finds old sins, buried alive. Rancid and stinking. And now, one of those secrets has surfaced, and created a corpse. C.I. Gamache must follow the trail of smiles and lies, of courtesy and cruelty. To the killer.

In a rare starred review, Kirkus Review in the US said, 'If you don't give your heart to Gamache, you may have no heart to give.' Charming, urbane, intelligent and kind, Armand Gamache has been hailed internationally as a cop like no other.


Next comes the fun part...casting! Excited and nervous about that. Vital to get it right....and we'll do our best, believe me! Especially Gamache. Will let you know all the news as the planning moves forward. I know you're as anxious as I am!

What a thrilling time!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about is. I think. :-)

I've managed to enjoy most movies or TV series that have been based on favored mystery series. The latest if Longmire based on Craig Johnson's characters. However, that being said, I've developed a way to disconnect in my head from the book characters and expectations in that regard. I hope I'll be able to do the same with Gamache and company. They are truly so dear to my heart though. LOL

So happy for you, Louise!! And if it brings new readers to your series, joy will reign!!

John said...

Very exciting news, Louise! I hope it works out well!

John.

Colombine said...

GREAT NEWS!

BRAVO! MILLE FOIS BRAVO!

I understand your excitement and thrilling time!!

lil Gluckstern said...

Great, big week for you. I hope we get to see this in USA.

www.lucefontaine.com said...

Quelle bonne nouvelle!

J'ai très hâte de visionner le film.

Bravo Louise!!!

Daryl said...

Armand Stahl Mueller is how I've always pictured Armand Gamache

Ann from Boston said...

Louise,

This is truly exciting news. Can't wait to see who plays Gamache!

Ann

Linda said...

Terrific news, Louise! So happy for you. Now we get to enjoy the story in a whole new format.
Cloris Leachman would be a formidable Ruth - in my "humble" opinion...

danielle-momo said...

Je suis très contente pour vous et j'ai très hate de visionner ce film
BRAVO !

Tracy Altieri said...

Wonderful! Now - for your legions of US fans - will this ultimately be available on DVD? I just can't imagine not being able to see it!

Kent Grabau said...

Interesting. This will, I'm sure, prove to be an exciting ride for all involved. We're especially interested since our company name, Three Pines Productions, LLC, is now popping up all over the place thanks to this work. Good luck and if you need any extra hands on cameras, etc., give your US 'cousins' a call! :)

Terry L said...

Great to hear, Louise. Is a DVD in the plan?

As I've read your books (second time around now prepping for August) I've pictured Armand as Sean Connery with a French Canadian accent. Am I close?

Team Slainte said...

Oh please oh please oh pleeeeaaase tell me there is a way we will be able to see this in The States....

Kathleen said...

Congratulations! It should be fascinating seeing your words take phyical shape. I second the wish to have it available in the States. I can't think of who could play Gamache but definietly see Shirley McClaine as Ruth.

Jeanine Cronin said...

Congratulations, Louise! I ditto what Kathleen said.

Nancy (Team McCurdy) said...

I hope Vincent Riotta is considered for the part of Gamache. Last movie I saw him in it struck me that he was perfect for the part of your Gamache when your books were picked up.

stella said...

I am so looking forward to see Still Life.

Ulrike said...

Well, I saw Still Life. Twice. It's a lovely film, full of Quebec, Quebecers and the Eastern townships.
I just cannot fit Inspector Linley into the picture. He seemed totally out of place. I agree with Nancy that Vincent Riotta would have been great. Maybe next time for "A Fatal Grace"?

Anonymous said...

Those of us in the States are dying to see it. I know it has aired in Canada but am unsure how to get it in the U.S. Any ideas for us?

Anonymous said...

When will another Louise Penney movie be made? Does anyone know?

Anonymous said...

I just ordered the DVD. Love all the Gamache mysteries. My mom was from Sherbrooke (actually Bromptonville) and the landscape of The Eastern Townships described in all the works brings me back there every few pages.

Barbara said...

Will certainly see the movie when it is available here, but I can't see Nathaniel Parker as Gamache. Not at all how I had him pictured. Why can't they try to cast people of very popular books resemble the characters in the book? Everyone doesn't have or need a pretty face.

sattakingplaybazaar said...

play bazaar
satta king
play bazaar
Play bazaar
satta king go gone