Sunday, 3 April 2011
Sunny, warm, temps plus 5 -
Gorgeous spring day - after a snow storm Friday...and more bad weather forecast for tomorrow. I know the midwest is getting hammered!
We have some regular, and unusual visitors these days. Wild turkeys. We tried to take pictures out the solarium window...the just look like big blobs, but in person they are formidable. Very impressive. And fun.
As you might have read in the newsletter, I've just, and finally agreed to option the first two books for movie rights.
We decided to limit it to Still Life and Dead cold/A Fatal Grace just in case its a disaster. that way the damage is contained. Not that I'm expecting a disaster...I'd never have agreed if I thought that was a possibility. But you just never know.
After 6 years of turning down all offers, I agreed because of the passion this production company showed. For the books, the characters, the themes. And to do a great job. And I was impressed that they offered me the job of Executive Producer. As my agent, who never holds back, said - I wonder if they know what they're getting in to?
this is a Canadian company. I felt strongly that the lead should be taken by a Canadian production company...but there will be international partners. British and American. So if the made-for-TV films are made, they will almost certainly be shown in the UK and the US.
Very fun to dream...to imagine the best case scenario. And so important for me to remain vigilant, to protect the characters without strangling or micro-managing the production. the fact is, film is different than books. And I'm not a film person.
The head of the production company's coming to Montreal on Thursday so we can meet and discuss plans.
Must hop off....it's a hectic time here - and I'm sure you're busy too! But I wanted you to know about the films because we've discussed it before on the blog.
Feel free to offer casting ideas!