Monday 30 August 2010

Two old smoothies - and mars

stunningly beautiful day - not a cloud, hot, temps 27

Went swimming this morning, and hoping to go again in a few minutes. Yummy day. Just glorious. Signed and drove to Richford, Vermont to mail a few books. Did some food shopping. Then home for the swim, and to do the Kirkus review questions on the audio book of BURY YOUR DEAD. Kirkus (a prestiguous US literary magazine gave the book a starred review and has declared the audio book an october hot read - thanks to Ralph Cosham who does the narration - brilliantly).

Then went out - only to return to hear I'd missed the phone call for the interview for Le Voix de l'est - newspaper.

ooops.

I thought the interview was for 4pm. Seems it was for 2pm. I know where I made my mistake. the difference between 4pm and 1400 hrs. They said quatorze heures and I heard quatre heures. The French here use the 24 hour clock - the English use the am/pm clock.

Either way, I was wrong. So I called her up and fortunately, no harm done.

Thank's to Michael's son, Victor, who just spent almost a week with us, we are now starting the day with fruit smoothies. Vic showed us how, and we now do bananas, blueberries, strawberries and soy milk. Fabulous.

Michael got up at 5am a few mornings ago (0500hrs) to look at Mars. Apparently it will not be this bright again for 5,000 years - so seemed worth the effort. But he had a difficult decision...wake me up, or let me sleep. He knows me. He let me sleep. Especailly since I was in the final throes of finishing the fourth draft and he knows how precious sleep is for that (and for peace in our home).

But last night he came in about 10 pm with the binoculars and said, 'I'd like to invite you to Mars' - so off we went to the upper balcony, and there was Mars - brilliant in the night sky.

Amazing life.

7 comments:

Margaret J. McMaster said...

I got up in the middle of the night to look at the stars off our balcony on the Queen Mary 2, which was in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. What a dazzling display! It was definitely worth the lack of sleep.

Susan Fish said...

You know that you are obliged to invite him to Venus. Or snigger about Uranus. (Sorry. Could not resist.)

Anonymous said...

It seems that the "bright Mars" story comes around every August. According to Snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp it's not true.

Appears that Michael bit on an email hoax. Of course, I'm sure the sky was still beautiful at 5:00 a.m.!

Jodi said...

Well, I lay down in the middle of the road many years ago to watch the stars in Wales.

(No cars around, only sheep).

lmkaczmarek said...

Well, we had a meteor shower here in Door County about three weeks ago -- 2:00 am was to be the "peak." I stumbled around at 2:05 looked up in the star-studded sky for about 3 minutes, didn't see anything and went back to bed. I'm not very patient at 2:05 am...

Linda said...

Isn't life sublime? This has been a summer to treasure.
Waiting (not so) patiently for my book and audio. First I'll listen, then settle down and read. Lovely.

Unknown said...

This looks like country living at its best. It must be quite conducive to creative writing. Good choice, Louise! As a new subscriber, I am anxiously awaiting the September newsletter. Thank you for keeping us, your faithful souls, up to date.