Saturday 21 February 2009

There it was, gone.

light, fluffy snow, temps minus 3

Perfect winter day. Not too cold, not too warm. Juuuuust right. We Canadians appreciate the middle bear. Every now and then the sun will come out making it all the more beautiful.

Lise wrote this morning saying there was a problem with the blog. Don't know if you found the same thing. I went on to check it out and it was still doing it...or not doing it. Everything showed up just fine, except the actual blog portion.

So I immediately wrote to Linda in Scotland. Then high-tailed it out to breakfast with Joan. She's just had a hit replaced and while the operation on the hip was great she had a crisis in the hospital when her bloodpressure plummeted. Very scary. had to be transfused. There was about a week when we were in Quebec City when we were calling her hospital room everyday to see...one evening was particularly frightening. But she's back among us again...though not yet driving herself. So Michael and I picked her up - Michael then went off to his own table and read the paper while Joan and I yacked it up. Got all caught up.

Joan's daughter is Wendy matthews. Those of you in Australia might know of her. She's a fabulous singer - a big star in Australia. So we spent quite a bit of time talking about the wildfires (Joan had just spoken to Wendy last night) and the losses. And the animals. (and the people, of course).

Heading out to dinner tonight with Mike and Dom. In the meantime I'm catching up on all the details of life that pile up when we're away. Happily, I can do it at some leisure.

Will blog again tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louise, it's worked fine for me, but I do know that doesn't mean much, there are so many different types of computers and connections..anyway, that's my report. :-)

Glad you made it home okay, and are able to relax a bit and yet get caught up with all that happens when gone. Also know it feels good, getting Brutal Telling revision done and sent.

No comment on the haircut...I thought it was just fine; but I also know it can make everything feel bad when we feel bad about a hair-do....we're women. :-) My dad was a barber and my mom a beautician, and so I know how sometimes a barber cut is just fine, and at times only a beautician-cutter can figure out how to do it right...depends on the hair, the type of cut, the whole thing. Best wishes getting a great hair repair! :-)

Loved hearing that Maggie is doing well and being pampered in her new bed rest area. Also hope that the hip replacement of your friend is ok, after all that scary stuff! And yes, Australia is still on our minds even though I don't know the famous singer. Best wishes to each and every one.

Thanks for your blog, Louise. Often it's a huge bright spot, how you share with us the goods and the bads of life. Take good care, enjoy your dinner and onward, have a good time.

Bobbie

lil Gluckstern said...

I enjoyed your blog yesterday, and your descriptions of Maggie. I share a house with a cat who makes sure I remember who is boss. I yearn for a dog, but Molly would never forgive me. It must be nice to be and enjoy the rest. Your home looks and sounds very peaceful. Glad your friend is okay. I am still talking up"Rule." Very poignant and rich. Thank you.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Bobbie,

Thanks for the insight into barbers and beauticians...what a fun house you must have grown up in. And believe me, this is a wretched cut...only glad I didn't think to go to the dog groomer. Small blessings.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Lil,

Very wise to know who is boss in the cat home. I have to say, I think there is nothing more adorable on earth than a kitten.

thanks for talking up 'Rule' - I really appreciate it.