Monday 30 March 2009

Hearing voices...

drizzle, misty, windy cool, temps plus 4

Typical early spring day. Still expecting some sort of snowfall - always get one in the spring - sometimes as late as May. traditionally we don't put out any annual flowers until after the May 24th long weekend (celebrating Queen Victoria in Canada) - because there's still a danger of frost before that! So, we're a long way off real spring yet.

But even the rain is welcome. So great to see the grass and the earth. And to smell the earth. Always the sweeter for having had the snow.

Ran around doing chores this afternoon. Met Nancy in Knowlton, then back to Sutton to pick up and mail some photographs. Did other mails here in Canada then scooted across the border to mail the things going to the states. Listened to music the whole way and thought about the book, and came up with ideas...some for the scene I just wrote...some for the next couple of scenes.

Lili de GRandpre, who reads the books for French mistakes called. She's finished book 5 - THE BRUTAL TELLING. So I need to pick it up at a shop in town which we use as a 'drop'.

cowansville day tomorrow - breakfast. Then back home and more writing. This book, set in Quebec City, is going well. Am in the middle third now and that always gets a little confusing...mostly to do with pacing. Not completely confident I'm unveiling clues at the right pace, and answering questions at the right pace or place, either. That's the sort of thing I only really can tell when the first draft is done.

Had a wonderful, starred, review in Publishers Weekly for the audio verison of A RULE AGAINST MURDER. The US version. It's read by Ralph Cosham and apparently he's fabulous. I can't listen because it doesn't match up to the voice in my head.

Take care, be well.

7 comments:

Elizabeth D said...

I'll have to find the audio book -- I learned, when reading Harry Potter, that I have to do that. On my first pass, I'm flipping pages as fast as I can, "What's going to happen?" When I listen to the audio book, I get every single detail, slow enough to savor. I'll let you know what I think of the reader. (And can he do the accents right?)

--Elizabeth D

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Elizabeth,

I'd love to hear what you think! Thank you. And that makes sense - you're reading at someone elses, more measured, pace.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Any idea when The Brutal Telling will be in stores?

Hilary MacLeod said...

The photos of the brave Maggie in the April newsletter are beautiful.

Just wanted to add that there is one pet store in Picton, Ontario that sells pets on behalf of the no-kill animal shelter in the area. A pair of kittens at a time play around in a storefront window on Main Street, and are snapped up quickly.

It might be the way for more pet stores to go.

Hilary

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Barb,

Yes, I should mention that! thanks for asking. The Brutal Telling will be coming out in October in both the US and Canada, as well as the Commonwealth (australia and NZ)

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Hilary,

Wonderful, wonderful idea! I think you are absolutely right. Everyone wins. Thanks for passing that on!