Thursday 23 February 2012

films update


overcast, some snow, mild - temps at freezing

Beautiful day, as you can tell by the photo - that's the view from the kitchen sitting room....the forecasters weren't sure if it would come down as rain or snow - and fortunately in the night it came down as snow! So we woke up to this sort of fairytale world. And once again filled the bathtub with water, in case the heavy snow on the branches broke power lines.

So far, so good.

We couldn't help but marvel at how different this is than what Michael and I were looking at a week ago at this time. But equally beautiful.

Headed off early (after digging out the car and almost getting stuck on the driveway....and then finding a snow drift at the end of the drive where the township plow cleared the road...right onto our driveway. Always fun, blasting through that. We headed into Sutton for breakfast at Le Cafetier...Michael to sit quietly on his own with reading, and me to meet my friend Lou. She and I met when we both volunteered at the tiny village library. there were two desks for volunteers, side-by-side. One for the English side (me) and one for the French side (lou). Well, it was so quiet that she and I ended up talking for our whole shift.

When I became president of the library (yes, as lofty and powerful as it sounds) one of the first things I did was bring Lou onto the board. She was so well suited to it that she ended up as president herself a term or so later....and did a fantastic job. We've been friends ever since, but always have difficulty getting together, with her job as translator and mine (as a writer). so it was wonderful to finally manage it.

But the big excitement is the formal announcement of what we (and perhaps you) already knew... The first two books in the Gamache series have been optioned....CBC Television has signed a development deal....and we're underway. The first draft of the screenplay for STILL LIFE arrived yesterday. I started reading it on my computer, then realized I really wanted a 'hard' copy - in paper. So while we were breakfasting this morning, Bob who does photo copying in the village, made two copies....one for me and one for Michael.

Have spent the rest of today reading the script.

It's a VERY strange experience. Won't comment on it at this stage....first draft and all. And still early days. No casting yet, of course. Not until we have a script we're all happy with. Like writing a book, it's a process.

More snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Storm warning out. Having breakfast in Knowlton with our friend Cotton and her sister. Then home for more reading by the fire.

Hope you're having a good day too - and are safe and warm

14 comments:

Barbara said...

Your snow looks beautiful. Our snow plows do the same thing to the end of our driveway. Hope the scripts are written to your satisfaction.

Laura Fry said...

Wow - we've been getting some really dynamite Canadian productions lately. Hope it's the start of a trend!

cheers,
Laura

donna said...

Just saw a movie last night which you really should see - The Whistleblower - it was made by a Canadian production company - based on true story. Very, very good.

Mary McConnell said...

I hope we'll get to see it in the states..I can't wait!

Colombine said...

C'est extraordinaire, Louise!

Que de belles nouvelles!

It's wonderful!

cold feet studio said...

This might be obvious but I always see Jean Reno when I visualize Inspector Gamache. I feel so at home with him.

Alessandra Collar Lipman said...

I am so excited for you! I will definitely want to see it, but the books will always be special to me. They had better get Three Pines right...

lil Gluckstern said...

Beautiful vista, and fun news. I just hope we somehow get it in the states.

Daryl said...

Just finished A Trick of Light and I kept 'seeing' Armand Mueller Stahl as Gamache ..

You moved me to tears several times in this book and now I am anxiously awaiting the next .. please hurry!

S Olson said...

How about Colm Feore as Gamache? He has the style to carry the part off.

Melanie said...

Congrats on getting the first two books optioned - how exciting! Wanted to share a great website I found for lovers of mystery / crime / thriller books. Maybe you've already heard of it but I stumbled across it and find it a very useful resource, with its alphabetical author lists and reviews: http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/index.html

Isabel said...

Greetings from Maine! I just finished your second book "A Fatal Grace" and enjoyed it so much! On to the next one! I'm so glad to have learned of your books. Thank you for your talent!

Nancy said...

I'm very happy to learn that there will be Three Pines movies.

Karen said...

Exciting news -- hope the movies get made! A friend and I were just speculating about casting this morning on Facebook: Stanley Tucci as Inspector Gamache (those warm brown eyes), Henry Cavill as Beauvoir (handsome and hot-headed), and Susan Sarandon as Clara (arty and fluttery when needed). Haven't gotten any further than that yet ...