Thursday 24 February 2011

UK Publication date!!!!

mainly sunny, mild, temps around freezing

I know this because I've finally been out. And no, not in my pajamas. Tragically, I had to leave those in the apartment.

But the BIG celebration chez nous today is that this is the publication date for BURY YOUR DEAD in the UK!!!! Feb 24th!

It feels as though I've been waiting for this for years. As you might know, we've changed publishers - from headline, who were terrific. I'll never forget how excited I was when they bought Still Life - and when it won the Dagger. And all my hopes and dreams. of taking Still Life to Hatchard's on Piccadilly, and showing the manuscript the Mystery section - and whispering into the bag that if it was very, very good, and very, very lucky then it could join the other books. There. On the shelves of one of the great independent bookstores in the world. In the UK.

Being raised and weened on British mysteries, being sold to a UK publisher was particularly moving. Don't get me wrong - being sold in the States was huge - thrilling! But my heart both sang and wept when I heard my books would be sold in the UK.

And then - to have that first one win the Dagger for best first mystery. I'll never, ever forget that night. And hearing my named called. And winding between the tables, whispering to myself, 'Remember this. Remember this.' My big fear is that it would be over and all be just a blur.

And I do remember it. Every breath. I remember hugging Michael for all I was worth. And thanking him.

But then, as wonderful as Headline and my editor there were, it felt like it just wasn't a fit. I'm not totally sure, but I think they might have thought the books were village cozies set in Canada. Which, of course, they were. And are. On the most superficial level. But I like to think they're that, and more.

So the books failed to thrive in the UK - doing OK, but soon, when I visited Hatchards, they were no longer there. No longer welcome with the other mysteries. And it broke my heart. So that I could no longer even go in to this bookstore that I loved. It just hurt too much.

But then we changed publishers, to Little, Brown (Sphere). And BURY YOUR DEAD is now out.

I don't dare hope for too much. Not again. Not yet. But, like Ruth in Clara's paintings, there is a gleam in my eye again. Not an expectation - but at least, now, I have hope.

Today Bury Your Dead is officially on sale in the UK. If you live there, please go in to Hatchards (or, actually, any bookstore) and buy 300. Each. And then go back and do it again. Thank you.

6 comments:

Shelagh, from Michigan said...

I have many, many cousins in England, and certainly, I shall e-mail all of them requesting they buy - at least - 300 copies of "Bury Your Dead". No problem!! Hugs, Shelagh

Linda said...

I will MOVE to England, open a bookstore and sell ONLY Louise Penny!
Best of luck!!

Jodi said...

>>And all my hopes and dreams. of taking Still Life to Hatchard's on Piccadilly, and showing the manuscript the Mystery section - and whispering into the bag that if it was very, very good, and very, very lucky then it could join the other books.<<

Love that! Louise, you gave me a big smile on a nasty, rainy day.

Shelagh, from Michigan said...

Love Linda and Jodi's comments!

Rebecca said...

Drat, was out of the country otherwise I'd have cleared all the shelves from here to Land's End and waited with glee to see the impact on my Bank Manager (death by shock?). But ah-ha, I see the later post: you have no need of little old me - The Times is just a tad better known, I hate to admit.

Anonymous said...

Would it help if I said I had sold at least 300 copies (each) of your books? Well, maybe I am exaggerating, but I have turned a ton of people into Penny Pinchers. Now we all want to move to Three Pines, directions please. Tim and Victor are already cast as Olivier and Gabriel. I wanna be Ruth.

Love, Ruth