Saturday 29 January 2011

Bathing suit - emergency

light but constant snow, mild, temps minus 4

Lovely dat - large, fluffy flakes. We met Cheryl for breakfast in Sutton this morning. Michael comes in with me, but is banished to the coffee shop area for breakfast with his book or newspaper while Cheryl and I get to sit in the dining room. And get all caught up. How wonderful to have a bosom pal, who seems to always be going through the same angsts, the same challenges and questions and wonderments as I am. We try to figure out why, and what to do about it. We also laugh so hard, and tell each other all the great things happening in our lives. You know, the stuff that sounds like bragging and we're taught not to mention. Well, Cheryl and I tell each other all the unmentionables. Good and bad. And eat eggs and bacon and sip coffee while doing it. And I always come away refreshed and energized.

Michael and I just realized that our loaner car is not insured for trips into the States. this would not normally be a problem, except that we're going to St. Lucia a week tomorrow and will be flying from Burlington, VT. We need to get there. With our luggage.

We can't take the large loaner car - and our other car, as you might know, is a VW Beetle.

So when we got back from breakfast we brought the summer clothes and the suitcases up from the basement. And then tried to stuff the big suitcases into the small beetle, as a test run. Shoving, and pushing and cursing.

Much like what is about to happen when I finish this and go upstair to try to shove my Buick body into a VW beetle bathing suit.

Damn those sneaky pastries. And the bacon. And the eccles cakes. And the medicinal pizzas. etc.

The only way I'm going to get the bathing suit onto my body will be to eat it. Thank God we've rented a private villa so I needn't worry about scaring small children on the beach. Or having someone alert Greenpeace.

We finally did get the luggage in - and then began the struggle to get it back out. We might have to airmail the entire beetle.

Oh well - I have to say, I enjoyed each and every bite - and if this is the consequence, then so be it. I'm fortunate to be married to a man who doesn't seem to care. As long as we're healthy. I think he long since gave up the hope I'd be a trophy wife. Though I suppose it depends what the competition was for.

OK - off upstairs to see how bad it is. God bless spandex.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louise, you made me laugh. I had this mental picture of the VW bug and the suitcase and you and Michael - LOL.

Why don't you skinnydip???? ;-)

lil Gluckstern said...

I could ditto Kay's note. If it's a private villa, can skip the suit? As your loyal fan, I have to say who said that Michael didn't get his trophy wife? Just a different race. I wish we had a picture of the little car filled with twenty two pieces of luggage (just picked that number). Sounds like you manage to have fun, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I just read in The Week magazine that men are happiest when their wives weigh less than them. "It insures that other men will find them attractive."

Okay, my confession: I weigh ten pounds more than my husband. He thinks I'm the bells. So much for scientists and sod all studies. We're healthy, love good food and mostly don't give a rats .....

Thanks for the post. Made my day.

Chipsmompainting

Linda said...

A great blog today - I love how you include us in your daily life. I also love the way your outlook is always positive. I can use the inspiration. Be prepared for your renovation to take longer and cost more. Seems to be the rule. And forget the suit! Soak up as much sun and warmth as you possibly can! I'm envious ;)

Shelagh, from Michigan said...

I am with you about a close friendship. I, too, am fortunate to have a friendship like that. I met my friend Pat for breakfast Thursday, at 9 a.m. (We see one another every 3 or 4 months). At noon she said she needed to leave (she still has a paying job; mine is volunteer-very flexible hours!)Thursday is her only day off. At 2 o'clock she really did need to leave. As she was leaving,the owner of the coffee shop said she got off at 3, and did I want to stay for another cup of coffee? Sure, I did. She left at 6! So here I am, still in the same booth I've been in since 9 a.m. - with one bathroom visit! So I did the only sensible thing and called my husband to ask him if he wanted to meet me there for dinner. Which he did. Finally left this marvelous spot at 7:30 p.m. It's been years since I've been able to do anything like that. Great mental health day!!!
Have a wonderful, relaxing trip to sun and warmth. And whatever clothes you pack, take out half of them-you won't need them, but double however much money you think you will need!!

Darlene in rainy Vancouver said...

Ooo, sun, to thaw all those parts that need to be thawed. Excellent!

Something to consider: when faced with the sight of unbeachworthy me, a pair of lycra shorts (longish) and a bathing suit top consisting of a bra with straps, and fabric below the bra that reached my waist (the fabric, not the bra) was ideal. Not trendy or stylish, but ideal -- for me. On the beach at Hanauma Bay no one seemed to notice or care.

Have a fabulous time away!

Donnak Wisconsin said...

Louise,

Remember when I told you how lucky you are that you are statuesque and how nicely your clothes drape on you? Statuesque...a classy term for a classy lady.

Donna at 5'3" from Wisconsin (Green Bay...)
Go Pack! On our way to the Superbowl...

Jodi said...

Louise, you ARE a trophy wife: the Agatha trophy, the New Blood Dagger trophy, the Anthony trophy...

Sun sounds wonderful, will send some back up here?

A Novel Woman said...

I'm looking forward to hearing about how you liked St. Lucia. We are going south for the first time, and were torn between St. Lucia and the Bahamas, but the latter won.

I've been dreading the idea of pulling my bathing suit out of the closet and trying it on before we go. Is there anything worse than putting on a bathing suit in February and walking along a public beach? Not putting one on, I suppose...

Marjorie said...

A Novel Woman,

Louise and Michael have been to St. Lucia before. If you'd like to read about it, you cut and paste the link below it will take you to the beginning of the posts:

http://louisepenny.blogspot.com/2010/01/presidential-suite.html

--Marjorie from CT

Dana said...

But Louise, if you booked the private villa, to what will they up-grade you?
Really loved the trip last year and am looking forward to this one as well.
I hope you and Michael have a great time. Dana

Hilary MacLeod said...

Remember the old ads for the Volkswagen Beetle -- they had person after person coming out of the "Bug" -- am I wrong in thinking it was a whole circus? It was the sixties...

P.S. Re: the bathing suit. You're a tall woman. The last time I saw ou, your figure was just right.

Larry Marshall said...

This was a hilarious post, Louise - a sign that you are a trophy wife, the kind that makes you smile.

Cheers --- Larry

A Novel Woman said...

Thank you for the link, Marjorie! We are going to the Sandals in Nassau, and although it's not the presidential suite, it still sounds pretty good!

Rebecca said...

It's global: every traffic light turned red on me. Ever noticed, that only happens when your'e running late?